The Code Enforcement Division is tasked with enforcement of the City Code of Ordinances. Enforcement of City Codes protects the life, safety, and welfare of the community, ensures safe and desirable living and working environments, helps maintain property values, and works toward maintaining quality of life.
To Report a Violation
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org; ; The Division will not take in person or phone call complaints.
There is no requirement to give your name or physical address regarding placement of a concern. The Division discourages the providing of this information.
What to Report When Placing a Violation
When placing a report of a possible violation please provide the following initial information.
- Postal address and street name of the possible violation(s) or if the site does not have a postal address and/or street name provide a Parcel ID # from the County Appraisal District from either Travis Co. or Bastrop Co. depending on the location. This should go in the email header.
- A brief word describing the violation(s) in the email header (i.e., junk vehicle, high weeds, unsafe building, drainage, zoning).
- A detailed description of the possible violation(s) within the email body.
- Indicate where the violation(s) may be seen from a public location (i.e., from the sidewalk in the roadway in front of the violation).
- If possible, submit pictures or a link with pictures of the possible violation in the email.
- If violation(s) must be accessed from a private location, the Division will need permission from the property occupant in writing to access their premises to see the possible violation(s)
General Response to Potential Violation(s)
Below is a general response by the Division on potential violations. Situations where there are significant code violation(s), inability to correct violation(s), and/or an imminent threat to the life, safety, and welfare of the community the Division may deviate from this response order.
- A Code Enforcement Officer will investigate the complaint and determine if there is a violation.
- In the event of a confirmed Code violation, the Code Enforcement Officer will place a Correction Notice (CN) Placard on the property, usually at the front door or at some point on the property where this Notice will be easily visible. This notice indicates the violation, course of action to correct, and timeframe to correct violation. A Code Enforcement Officer will reinspect the site at the end of the timeframe to verify compliance with request.
- If not in compliance, the Code Enforcement Office will draft a Notice of Violation (NOV) Letter and send it to the property owner via Certified Postal Mail. This notice indicates the violation, course of action to correct, timeframe to correct violation, and penalties for any continued non-compliance. A Code Enforcement Officer will reinspect the site at the end of the timeframe to verify compliance with request.
- If not in compliance, the Code Enforcement Officer will file a complaint through Municipal Court. Fines for City Ordinance violations that govern fire safety, zoning, dumping or refuge, or public health and sanitation are up to a maximum of $2,000 per day for each day the violation exists and for items not mentioned in this subsection up to a maximum of $500 per day for each day the violation exists. This is separate from any other penalties and/or fines that may be decided by the Municipal Court. The City may also pursue other remedies as well, including but not limited to, abatement of nuisances, injunctive relief, liens, administrative adjudication, separate fines, and revocation of licenses and permits.
PLEASE NOTE – This process is not inclusive of all steps and/or actions that can be taken by the City. In situations such as multiple repeat violations or a significant code issue the City is authorized to abate nuisances immediately. If you are in receipt of a notice, citation, or other formal document, more specific information may be obtained by contacting the specific Code Enforcement Officer related to your case.
Tall Grass & Weeds
Building & Fencing
Health & Sanitation